Section 8, also known as the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCP), is a type of housing assistance that the government provides to low-income families. A voucher program was created by the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Public Housing agencies will administer these vouchers. The vouchers are distributed to qualified individuals and families so they can choose the right housing unit. To get more details about Section 8 Housing in Albany NY, you may browse this site.
Image Source: Google
If a landlord wants to qualify their property under section 8, they should follow the following steps:
1. Fair Market Rent should be Fair for any property being made available to rent. This means that you can't set your price, as it will be determined by the Fair Market Rent in the area.
2. Landowners should inform the Public Housing Agencies that they intend to make their property available to section 8-qualified tenants.
3. Also, the property must meet safety and health standards set by HUD.
To be eligible for section 8 further, landlords should also be willing:
1. Screen tenants.
2. Follow the Housing Quality Standard to maintain your property.
3. You must pay for utilities.
The housing agency can stop paying rent if the landlord does not comply with all conditions. Tenants will be encouraged to search for other properties if the house fails to meet standards.